Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What If I....

Today I'm feeling the need for insipid posts about "What If I...".

What if I had a superpower?  What would that be like?  I could put away my random thought (generated by a dream, just so you know. I'm really not THAT weird.  Well..I probably AM that weird. ), or I could pursue this.  I'm convinced that every dream has an element in it that could make a great story or scene.

So at first I think of all the awesome things I could do if I had a super power.  Then I realize that if I truly did have a super power, things would not be all "Superman".  In fact, I would probably be pursued by numerous governments who might send officials to "diplomatically" sway me to work on their behalf.  If I refused, I imagine that some countries would pursue a less legitimate way of acquiring my services.  This could be a story of avoiding said governments and what might happen in the end.  Realistically I would die, or the governments might find a way to control my mind, overriding my own will (through scientific means, or harming those I care about).

Another way the story could go, is that I find others like me and we band together and try to fight the entities, going public with the situation to generate awareness and prevent ourselves from falling quiet victims to the governments.  This could fail or succeed depending on how the story goes.  Then there could be a story where someone turns me over to the government and they run tests and begin trying to make replicas of my super power in other people.

Well, I think you get the point.  Just by asking one seemingly ridiculous question, I have multiple story possibilities.  All it took was a few people to ask that very question and we have a world of superheros and comics that span years and still win the hearts of many.  It only takes one person to ask that "what if" question.  Don't be afraid to be that person.


No comments:

Post a Comment