Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

On the Subject of Podcasts...Beware!

Today, is more of a rant.  I should not rant because I have never done a podcast and now am a little more leery of doing one than I was before.  I know that people may not want to sound scripted on a podcast, but you really really should have some type of script.  If you don't have a script, maybe have some notecards or a bulleted sheet of the points you want to cover.  I guess what I am saying is please, please have a direction.  Do not stop to collect $200, just go.  Here is my theory on podcasts, a blog entry can be like a cup of coffee.  A person can read it at his or her leisure, taking time to reread sections if and when necessary, or stop when they want.  One can read as quickly or as slowly as one prefers.  Since a podcast cannot really be adjusted speedwise (fast forwarding does not count), it makes scripting that much more important.

I had to listen to some podcasts today and really the only description I can come up with at the moment is "excruciating", and that is after two cups of caffeinated coffee, one decaf cup, and now a cherry amp.    I managed to be bored and simultaneously obtain a headache from listening to said podcasts.  This is just a guess, but I do not think this is the effect the author was going for.  I will just breakdown things that really annoyed me from a listener's perspective.  Then if I ever make a podcast I can come back and reread this so I (hopefully) don't make the same mistakes.

1)  Have a script, but make it flexible to follow the conversation (if conducting an interview)

2)  Have backups when recording, there is nothing more frustrating than having a key part of the podcast simply "missing".  It's like a bad movie trailer that cuts out at the part that tells you what the movie is about.  I imagine this is also frustrating to the podcaster as well, so if you are recording on a computer, perhaps have a tape backup as well or another device also recording

3)  Don't interrupt people you are interviewing, it is annoying to listen to and sometimes derails the original conversation

4)  Podcasts are like espresso shots, they should be short and to-the-point (hence the need for a script)

5)  Practice first, record yourself and play it back.  If you sound like a ditzy person who has a hangover, keep practicing unless that is a persona you are playing in your podcast.

6)  Editing...this is necessary, just like written word.  Cut out unnecessary junk, pauses, etc. or re-record

7)  Do not ramble.  A podcast is not YouTube and therefore rambling and awkward pauses are not entertaining, just aggravating

8)  It is okay to have a quirky jingle or tagline at the beginning of your podcast, it will be something that grabs the listeners attention and hopefully gets them excited to hear what you have to say

9)  I am willing to listen to a lengthy podcast (one comes to mind with Nathan Fillion, on The Nerdist) as long as there are not tons of awkward pauses and the material is interesting

10)  Please, no monotone unless it is a podcast to cure insomnia

11)  Podcasts need to jump right in, there should be minimal into/warm-up time

So yeah.  I know these are mostly negative but that is what I can come up with as I fight a podcast-induced headache right now.  Just remember that a podcast should be like an espresso shot:  short, memorable, to-the-point and packs a punch. I'm pretty sure if you remember that, along with the scripting and practicing...you'd be fine.  I'll probably have to test the theory out in the future, but we shall see.  Here's to headache-free podcasts!!

If you have podcasts you enjoy please feel free to share.  I mentioned The Nerdist earlier, and I have enjoyed some of theirs although I don't always have enough time to listen to the entire podcasts.  Feel free to leave any suggestions in the comments!  Have an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment