Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

On the Subject of Literature

Today, I have already spent my momentary eloquence at my other blog. I apologize for the lack of illuminating phraseology.  Not that I usually attain that, but still, I feel compelled to apologize.  The beneficial thing about reading authors who are wonderfully articulate is the decided improvement in sentence structure and thought processes of the lucky readers.  I do not want to imitate those authors exactly, I still desire to have my own impact somewhere in the world of literature.  What good is literature if you remove the subjective nature of it by emulating someone else's writing so closely that a reader may not be able to tell the difference?  I suppose if the author's goal is to, "write just like Mr. Award-Winning Writer", they would be ecstatic at hearing that a reader might not be able to pick out the difference between their writing and Nathaniel Hawthorne's.

I, however, would be saddened (although simultaneously flattered, of course).  I am not saying that I would rather write incorrectly, merely that I wish to remain true to my own style and voice while making improvements in the formulation my ideas.  I know that I can vastly improve my writing, and while I strive to do that, my goal is to reach the masses with my fiction.  I do not write with the goal of winning any kind of award. I am simply a writer, and as such, I must write or go mad. Here is my more eloquent and lengthy post on my wordpress site:

http://crampedwriting.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/literature-and-philosophy/

No comments:

Post a Comment